We’ve all been there— we’ve had days where nothing feels right and you just don’t want to get out of bed; where your makeup is acting up and no matter how hard you try, you can’t get your eyeliner even; or you can’t seem to wear enough concealer to cover up those bags; or you’re having a bad hair day that shifts everything just slightly off. No matter how gorgeous or successful one can seem, everyone has had their own insecurities. Despite what it may sometimes seem, Alessandra has perfected self-confidence by working and building it for years. As an international model, especially a VS Angel, Ale constantly has millions of eyes on her. It’s true what they say, you can fake it ‘til you and make, and until then… here are some easy steps to practice to build more confidence!
- Distance yourself from the negativity!
This means both in person and online. Evaluate the people and media that influence your life. Do they put down others, themselves, or even you? Maybe take a little break from that hypercritical friend, or unfollow that catty page on Instagram. It’s OK to unplug and let it go.
- Write a love letter to yourself
Even though it will feel cheesy at first, make yourself to do it and see where it takes you.Write about all the things you like about your body and your personality. Look at yourself through another person’s eyes. Do you think a stranger or friend would judge you as harshly as you judge yourself? What do you think they would say?
- Practice healthy habits
List some specific things you can do get healthier AND look your best. For example, start drinking water instead of soda, or start taking walks after work instead of watching TV. These things will not only gradually improve your appearance, but they’ll make you feel better too. It’s okay if your list is baby steps!
- Make your closet work for you
Get rid of clothes that don’t fit, or that don’t make you feel good. Instead, look for clothing that fits and flatters your body, just the way it is. There are some clothes that look flattering on many different bodies (check out our picks below!) but you can also experiment to find what clothes make you, personally, feel your best. Everyone needs a good power outfit!
Here are pieces we’re currently coveting that’s flattering for all body types:
– A line dresses: An A-line dress gives anyone a more hourglass figure by nipping in at the waist and flowing out over the legs
– Boyfriend jeans: Boyfriend are purposely made to fit a bit loose, giving a casual cool vibe.
– One-piece bathing suit: A one piece bathing suit gives support to any area you need, while at the same time showing off some skin.
– Jogger pants: Jogger pants are much more stylish than sweatpants or leggings, but just as comfortable.
– Jumpsuits: Just like an A-line, a jumpsuit with a cinched waist jumpsuit is an easy way to make a flattering silhouette.