With the season already being about half way done, the itch to take advantage of summer sunshine is getting more intense. For our #foreveronvacation angel, a summer getaway is the perfect way to restore balance in her hectic model lifestyle. Last week, Alessandra Ambrosio hit the beaches in Ibiza and Greece with family and friends alike, showing us just how a summer vacay needs to be done! We took inspiration from her fabulous trip to create your guide to getting recharged on your summer holiday!
Plan, plan, plan!
There are so many places to go and things to do, it’s best to have as many details possible figured out prior to your trip so that you can maximize downtime and enjoyment! Do your research at least a few weeks beforehand so you can find the best deals and give yourself the most flexibility. A few tips to being the expert summer vacay planner:
- Do your research on choosing a destination; oftentimes, the most popular destinations can be the most hectic to visit, so if you enjoy the road less traveled, try finding an exotic locale. The more unknown aspect makes it feel like a more exciting adventure, and you’re likely to feel more recharged if you’re not spending your time stuck in tourist traps.
- Book your flights for less popular days and times – like in the middle of the week – to save some $$
- Hotels often give discounted rates, but don’t have them readily available on their sites. Try visiting a third party service like Hotwire.com to see last-minute discounts. Being flexible is key in getting a good deal!
- Pick reliable travel partners; If your friends are the type likely to flake last minute, chances are they’ll throw a wrench in your planning. Larger groups tend to be more difficult to organize, so if there are one or two people that have their mind set on your trip, they might be your ideal travel partners.
Get Your Maximum Recharge
The whole point of a vacation is to get away from the everyday stresses and just enjoy yourself! To get that maximum feeling of being recharged, try always putting forward the mindset of being present in the moment. Whether it’s stress from work, or feeling FOMO from other people’s plans, you’re only doing yourself a disservice by allowing external factors any attention during your time off. For the most part, anything can wait, and life is too short to be fretting about things that are out of your control. Our tips to truly unwind on your vacation:
- Put away your phone! For most of us, our entire world is on our smartphone, so engaging with your screen can take away from the present. Try making it into a game! Every time there’s a small moment of silence or boredom, keep each other in check so you’re not tempted to mindlessly scroll Instagram. (Posting some cute vacation photos here and there is the exception to the rule 🙂 )
- Get some exercise! By this, we don’t mean getting your #Gains at a local gym. Rather, check out the local attractions for your next adventure! That can mean a beautiful hike on a mountain, snorkeling with wildlife in local waters, having a yoga session in a scenic landscape, or even a long walk through your destination’s neighborhoods can make for great exercise. Being active is good for your mental and physical health, so you’ll max out on your feeling of travel fulfillment!
- Check out a local spa! Take a treat yourself moment that you can’t get back home (a full spa day at a Turkish bathhouse, perhaps?) Different places around the world have their own unique types of spa treatment, so give yourself a taste of culture while you relax!
The More, the Merrier!
If you’re traveling with your besties or relatives, make time for group bonding activities. You’ll make some of the best memories that you can always look back and smile about, and it’s these kinds of moments that will bring you closer than ever before. Need some ideas on how to plan a group activity?
- Pick an activity that’s adventurous and slightly outside of everyone’s comfort zone yet still appealing to the whole posse. Active sports like zip lining, rock climbing, or a cycling tour can help your group break down boundaries and open themselves up to new experiences. Water sports like jet skiing, kayaking, and cliff jumping can be thrilling and fun. Do you have a more laid back crew? A local wine tour can give you a taste of culture while unwinding, or renting a private beach or boat can be a luxurious way to spend time with your squad.
- Have a little healthy competition! Create two groups to compete against each other in a fun vacay-olympics. The added incentive can help the group engage better in the activity, and helps solidify that feeling of bonding.
- Take a few snaps! A disposable camera is always a fun touch on a vacation with its nostalgic feel. And with all the possibility of editing removed, it makes it that much more exciting to see how the photos turn out! For some reason, there’s nothing that feels as authentic as disposable camera photos.
Dress to Impress
Packing for your trip really sets off the vacation butterflies! Putting together outfits that you don’t normally wear to feel fabulous in is an addictive feeling. Here are some of our tips for getting that luxe resort-wear vibe for your vacay:
- Start with your shoes; Pick 3-4 pairs of shoes that set the vibe for your vacation wardrobe, and arrange pieces around the shoes that they go with. This will allow you options without having a finicky planned-outfit suitcase. You’ll love having options in the moment.
- Include some pieces that you don’t get to wear at home. Whether that’s a flowy maxi dress or a strappy one-piece swimsuit, you’ll feel your most confident wearing special pieces on your vacation.
- Leave some room in your suitcase for shopping. If you get the chance to go shopping, you’ll probably find some unique jewelry that you can’t get back home and will serve as a great memento for your trip.