Photo Credit: Models Jam
There’s two ways to make your wardrobe appear really expensive: 1) You can actually spent a lot of money on your clothes or 2) you can allocate part of your budget to long-term investment pieces and make these little adjustments to your everyday pieces below. With or without a million bucks to spend, we’ll help you pull out your inner Alessandra Ambrosio superstar!
SHOP SIMILAR: Paper Dolls Lace Jumpsuit | Vince Camuto Farella Ankle Strap Sandal | Lafayette 148 New York Alonza Blouse | Missguided Premium High Waisted Cigarette Suit Trousers Black | Stuart Weitzman Nouveau Patent Leather Pumps
- Tailor It: Too tight, too big, too short… The too’s will always lessen your look. The first rule of thumb is the fit—Anything that is properly fitted to your body will look more polished. Even if there’s just an inch that should be taken in, keep pins or double-sided tape handy for a quick fix. Keep in mind that the simpler the design, the easy it is to tailor and the longer you can wear it because it’s not based off a quick trend.
- Mix & Match: Mix inexpensive items with pricier ones, so the overall effect is balanced. The expensive ones will elevate the whole look.
- Take Extra Care: We’ve mentioned this before, but taking extra care to look after your shoes, bags, and clothes—even if they aren’t expensive—will ensure that they last longer and look better. Stuff bags with tissue paper before putting them away and moisturize leather handbags to remove scuffs.
- Remove the Unnecessary Hardware: Removing excess hardware, such as dangling charms and extra shoulder handles, will instantly make your handbag look streamlined and chic. Or simply opt for a sleek, understated bag without an overflow of embellishments always looks more luxurious.
- Switch Out the Buttons: Ditch those basic plastic buttons in favor of something more appealing. This simple and easy to do trick on coats, blazers, or even a silk shirt, will immediately elevate the piece.
- Invest in a Steamer: Nothing cheapens a piece like wrinkles, but we know that ironing is a hassle and many synthetics can’t be ironed. A good steamer can blast wrinkles out of just about anything in a couple of minutes. If you are between washings, steam the piece the night before and leave it hanging in a room with open windows overnight. The cold night air will help neutralize any lingering odors and by morning the piece should be ready to wear.
- Visit the shoe repair: If there’s one thing that needs some extra lovin’, it’s your shoes. These babies carry you around everywhere. Designer and no-name brands alike will look as good as new after a re-sole and clean from the shoe repair store.
SHOP SIMILAR: James Jeans Faux Leather Lapel Ponte Blazer | Joe’s Jeans Kaytya Off Duty Legging | Tory Burch Suede d’Orsay Pump | On Twelfth Over The Top Fur Vest | Missguided Textured Cropped Sweater Grey | J Brand Ready to Wear Chapman Leather Drawstring-Waist Trousers
- Black is the New Black: When in doubt, stick with the classic black. You can’t go wrong because black is always chic.
What tips and trick do you have to elevating your look?