With every new season, comes a new wardrobe, and the same goes for your hair! Just as you tailor your outfits to the temperature outside, you should think of your hair as the same. We’re so excited to start breaking out our long coats, thigh-high boots and winter hats, but the winter months can put your hair under a lot of stress. It’s easy to forget from time to time, but the scalp is the foundation of your hair – while the hair above the surface is dead, the living part of the hair lies beneath being nourished by your scalp. Therefore, it’s important to pay special attention to this during the winter to give it all the protection and care it needs. Inspired by our angel Alessandra’s year-round beautiful locks, here are key tips to follow this winter for hydrated hair:
- Shampoo Less: Keep washing to a minimum to avoid drying out your hair of it’s natural oils. Marajo Hair’s Essential Kit cleanses and restores your hair with a simple 2-step regimen for smooth, shiny, bouncy hair. And always make sure you dry your hair before leaving the house. Not only because you can catch a cold, but the moisture in your hair combined with the cold air will add further damage to your hair by making it more brittle and dry.
- Style Less: Opt for natural waves this winter. Limit your use of tools like hair dryers and curling irons as the heat can dry out your hair and scalp, increasing the risk of damage. If you are using a tool, make sure to apply heat-protectants beforehand. The Blowout Styling Creme is a must, it’s a leave-in conditioning treatment, detangler, frizz fighter, color keeper, and hair protector all in one! It’s the ultimate must-have for the season.
- Trim It: Keeping your ends trimmed during harsh winter months is a great way to reduce breakage/dry splitting ends and maintain healthy hair.
- Use Treatments: Indulge your scalp and hair with a weekly treatment to improve texture and maintain sheen, such as Marajo Hair’s Deep Treatment Butter.
- Stay Hydrated: If you’re dehydrated on the inside, it will show on the outside too so make sure you drink plenty of water to help keep your hair and scalp hydrated!
- Frizz Control: Frizz can be an indicator of damaged hair. Be diligent about doing deep conditioning treatments once a week. You can also smooth flyaways with serums or lightweight sheets that immediately get rid of all your unwanted static hair while also adding shine. In a hurry? Pro tip: a dryer sheet also works wonders to removing your hair’s winter static!
- Keep It Covered: It’s time to break out the hats and scarves! Extreme cold and harsh winds can damage and tangle your hair, making it dry and brittle—protect your locks from winter weather in style.